Saturday, October 10, 2015

#Langchat is AWESOME

Continuing with the theme of the blog so far (social media), I got the chance to explore a feature about Twitter that reminded me of the beauty of social networking.  I heard of it before but never had a chance to experience a Twitterchat until this morning, when I was able to join an abundance of Foreign Language teachers across the country having a conversation on a specific topic.

#Langchat has become quite an event for the teachers involved and I can see why.  It was fun, informative and provided the kind of support most teachers only dream of regarding instructional strategies.  It's moderated by a couple of language teachers and they post a new question every 10-15 minutes that all involved in the conversation respond to.  It was tremendous!

The topic for today was developing long-term memory for language learners.  The first question asked what strategies foster long-term memory in language learning.  Some of the answers included repetition, structuring lessons so that new content is earlier rather than later in the class and consistent review of older content.  The questions continued throughout the hour and the answers continued to pour in as well.  One of the questions and answers I found to be most interesting was regarding best practices to help build long-term memory for language learners.  Among the answers were having different aromas in the classroom for each new unit.  I've never heard or experienced this before but apparently students remember the aroma and match the lesson with it.  Amazing!

Overall, I see this as one of the best forms of professional development out there.  Gaining insights from real language teachers that are all seeking to perfect their craft was extremely helpful and a wonderful usage of an hour on Saturday.  This is something I plan to attend each week, especially when I begin teaching.

#langchat #flteachers

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great topic and a lot of useful input from teachers. I'd never heard of "aroma" use for long term memory, but it seems possible. What types of aromas did they suggest?

    ReplyDelete